The Regional Training Workshop on Transition to Register-based Approaches for Population and Housing Censuses started its work in Ankara on June 12, 2023 and will last until June 15, 2023. The event is jointly organized by the Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO), United Nations Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific (SIAP) and the Statistical, Economic and Social Research and Training Centre for Islamic Countries (SESRIC) with support of United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD), United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), Turkish Statistical Institute (TurkStat), UN Economic Commission for Europe (ECE).
The workshop is primarily targeted at countries starting a transition towards register-based census and exploring approaches to increase the use of administrative data in their upcoming censuses. The target countries mainly include ECO member countries, including Azerbaijan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Türkiye, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. Belarus, Georgia, Mongolia and Moldova are also among the target countries.
The objectives of the workshop include:
- Understanding how population registers can be used to produce vital statistics;
- Better understanding the concepts and features of register-based approaches for census;
- Discussing the considerations, challenges, opportunities, and the process involved in transitioning from a traditional census to register-based approaches;
- Understanding and applying the “Generic model for the transition from a traditional census to register-based approaches”;
- Drafting a proposed scenario for their country’s transition to increase use of administrative data for censuses; and
- Exchanging experience and learning from success stories.
In his welcoming remarks, ECO Deputy Secretary General Ambassador Jandos Asanov, while characterizing the cooperation with UN SIAP and SESRIC as fruitful, expressed confidence that the Ankara Statistical Workshop will contribute to the improvement of statistics services of the ECO Member States.
Certificates will be issued to the participants who attend and complete the workshop successfully.